Saturday, January 16, 2010

 
These last few days have been a blitz of article submissions. I'm lucky in a way. I wrote a syndicated Internet column for almost 8 years. I finally just got tired of writing about computers and the Internet, but I produced 457 articles over that time period. All around 600 words in length, perfect for the submission sites.

That database of articles is really paying off now. Article submissions is one of the best ways to draw readers to a website. I went through those articles and pulled the ones that weren't 'time stamped' so I could rework them and bring them up-to-date. I chose about 50 to work with. I'll draw on the others as need be.

Instead of having to start from scratch, the article is basically written. I just need to make sure it's still pertinent in todays markets. Many of these articles were 'how to' articles so they could just be submitted as is. I was able to submit 10 articles in three days. Six of them have been reviewed and published, one was kicked back (too many outside links, four is the max and I had six! Easy fix.) and three have yet to be reviewed.

The nice thing about submitting articles (Ezine, ArticleDashboard, and Isnare are my main targets) is that once they are published, the can be picked up by various online publications around the world and you get 'back-links' to your website. I provide a link to my website in my author's resources. These back-links are what search engines look for and they help improve your page ranking. My Google page rank is 2. At one time it was 4. That was when I had 23 newspapers in syndication. Most of them carried my column on-line as well as in print so I had a lot of very good back-links...Now, I'm just starting to build back-links again.

Being on the first page of a Google search is extremely important if you want people to be able to find you. I've been on the first page at the number one position under Randy Benjamin for five or six years. What I'd like to accomplish with the article submissions and press releases is to get other key words to bring up my website. Especially when someone types in the name of one of my books.

This will be an ongoing project. I hope to get at least one article submitted every day through the end of January. Fifty articles would be great. I don't think that will be a big problem with the database I have to draw from.

I'll keep you posted on how this effects my website percentages. So far, it's way to soon to see much difference, though I have seen a nice jump in 'hits' since my last book came out right before Christmas. I'm tracking everything (especially the views on articles, press releases, and web stats) on an Excel spreadsheet.

I just joined a Kindle Forum today where there are several authors. Networking is very important.

Oh, the press releases have topped out at where they were in the last post. So for about 3 days is all the exposure they seem to produce. From there on, I'm getting zero hits on them. I'll probably release a new one twice a week. The 'dollar' one outperformed the 'free' one by  about 5 to 1 in views so I'd say it's a dollar well spent.

All for now,

Randy
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?